Dragon Age: The Origin of My Regret.

*MAJOR SPOILERS AHOY*

I'm a complete and utter tool. "Farm your garden for you as you inexplicably don't want to? I'll be happy to put off saving the world to do so!" This is my usual bend over backwards nice guy coming to the fore in RPGs. If it sounds vaguely good and helpful I see it as my sodding duty to make the game world a better place, just for the few occasionally times those nice deeds come back to gently squeeze rather than kick me in the buttock. I've always wanted to be the bad guy, but I just don't have the heart. It makes me afraid I'll hurt the game's feelings by not doing as it wants me to do. But then Dragon Age comes along and pisses all over that for me.



Now, Dragon Age is not the first to tell a dark fantasy tale with ambiguous moral dilemmas. Even though I've not played it I'm told The Witcher beat it to the pip on numerous fronts in sadistic fantasy creatures. But Dragon Age has felt so personal to me, and I've actually felt real sadness and torn even if my avatar wasn't in the slightest bit fussed.

My origin was the Dwarf Casteless, where you start off in the slums with an alcoholic mother and a sister who your crime boss is prettying up to pimp out to some dwarf lord. It's a very class orientated struggle, and so compelling that for a good time after it takes the game a while to pick up again. Every choice you make it feels like you're the Good person doing bad things just to survive, and all the nice gestures you try just end up landing you in a big heap o' shit. Show mercy to a guy? Turns out your boss had a spy nearby that turns you in. Defend advances on your sister? Your moneyflow is threatened to be cut off. Luckily your more street wise friend Jevek manages to worm your way out of it for both of you. I really grew to like Jevek, as even though he's thug he will banter a few jokes back and forth on the plight of your situation. Long story short, after a series of events you end up in your crime boss' personal jail with Jevek and have to fight your way out together, killing the boss in the process. You have to leave or be executed, so stuck between a rock and a rock you accept the invitation to join the Grey Wardens. Jevek had to stay behind but he's not guilty of the same crimes you were, and your sister had found a nice nobleman to marry her way up the class ladder. So off you trot.

Throughout all of this I had no real idea what was going on up in the higher echelons of the Dwarven society. My world view was attempting to get through day to day, with no time for contemplative politics to really filter down to my level. Some time later, fully Grey Wardenified, you return with your new party trying to recruit the dwarves to battle the great evil blah blah. Turns out there's a large power struggle occurring as since you left the old king had died and contention for the throne goes between his one remaining son and a popular lord.




Of course, it is up to you to help push events one way or the other. And the game leaves you with a beguiling sense of moral ambiguity over who you should be supporting. At no point do you get to directly meet either of the candidates before deciding who to side with, so all your information comes from gossip and hearsay. This is new and intriguing to me, as rather than the usual "I spoke to him and he's obviously the slimy bastard and that other guy is the virtuous leader" I had to judge them on distorted public perceptions. "Prince Bhelden promises to upheave the Caste system." "Lord Harrowmont is an old fool who won't change with the times. He hates Castless." Ok so the Prince it is then. "Prince Bhelden murdered his brothers and poisoned his father" "Lord Harrowmont was beside the king when he died, and was nominated ruler by him over his son." Urm, well the Prince sounds a bastard. Lord Harrowmont all the way baby. "Hi brother, I've just had my child by Prince Bhelden. Look at how well he's treating me and mum!"

That last piece of news especially sent things topsy turvy. If I side with Lord Harrowmont, I'm effectively killing my own nephew and the comfortable life of my kin. But Prince Bhelden seems a power-hungry toad. Reluctantly I go to see what the quest is to win the Prince's trust. "Lord Harrowmont promised the same land to two differing noble families for their vote. Here's evidence that we'd like you to show both of the families." Ok, so that makes me feel a little better. Lord Harrowmont was just another side of the same coin then. I set out and convince the first family, a snooty noble lady, to withdraw her vote. I then seek out the second, who turns out to be an amiable wise dwarf that cracks wise and is hated by the rest of the council for wanting to abolish the Caste system. But a good person like this supports Lord Harrowmont? I'm getting confused again.



And the game doesn't stop pulling punches. Just before going back to the person who issued me the letter giving quest I went into a library of some kind. Hoovering up all the dialogue trees I could find I ended up talking to the head remember and given an option to show him too the letters. "These are cursed fakes!" he cried, telling me that "such a contract was made, but with differing terms for both parties. There was no underhand dealing going on." Uh-oh, so Lord Harrowmont really was squeaky clean. I think I can salvage it as there's a dialogue option saying "I think I'm going to go have a word with the person who gave me these". So I just go over, accuse the quest giver and the moral choice will become clear right? Wrong. Turns out all I can do is tell him I did the quest successfully. I could restart right now, but that would ruin the premise of the game I felt. I made my choices on evidence that was there, I needed to stick by it.

I finally meet the Prince and he really is an oily bastard, but he got his family royal jewels to somehow impregnate my sister so I can't kill him in good conscience. But evil and ambitious as he is, he also wants to make some big changes for the better so that his name will be remembered positively. So he really is no more Castes, whereas Harrowmont would follow in the footsteps of the old king propping up an incredibly broken system.



I'm sliding down a slippery slope of conflicting moral interests here that somehow, this game has made me care about. It only gets worse as good friends betray you, the underhandness gets worse and there's much, much death. Because of me. And that is why Dragon Age makes me regret pretty much all of my choices, and so far doesn't seem to be relenting. I love it.

24 comments:

  1. nice post. I have beaten Dragon Age twice and I struggled both times choosing who to support. Obama or Bush? Oh wait, that was real life. But they do have some parallels to the game...

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO, basically...I should start crying now, right? Because I know I must have completely screwed everyones lives up at this point. XD haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These five free basketball game apps for the i - Phone will surely help you get your game on.
    Each program will have a box with a checkmark, find
    the programs you'd like to uninstall and uncheck that box. You'll have to keep the
    phone close (on the bed or in an armband) for the app to work.


    Stop by my web blog - www.pasuruancity.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most important thing to know when you are selling an account is where you are going to sell.
    If you want to enjoy the game thoroughly then you need to get on board of a
    reliable online bingo site to get the maximum enjoyment as well as benefit of the game.
    The player guides Phen through 10 levels of dungeon gameplay, finding a whole host of weapons
    and other items as well.

    Also visit my blog; youtube downloader online

    ReplyDelete
  5. I blog quite often and I genuinely appreciate your information.
    The article has truly peaked my interest. I'm going to bookmark your blog and keep checking for new details about once a week. I opted in for your RSS feed as well.

    Feel free to surf to my web blog :: Dead Space 3 Game key

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then a splash screen that is not present on the purchased
    version "nags" for several seconds, and the background from the desktop is displayed on the laptop.
    Thus professional firms for web development in London are better got in touch with.
    Still, Lich King is not devoid of its flaws. As a rule of thumb,
    if an app has been successful in i - OS or Android format, it is likely to also be
    found on Windows Marketplace. Do you really want to see the hard-earned
    money of you and your spouse end up in the bank account of a lawyer who doesn't even know you. Those pain killers and medications hide the problem without dealing with the true cause. We actually become happier people. FIFA has stated that a player named as a goalkeeper can only play in goal and that this rule will be enforced. Dependency enslaves you, giving others the ultimate power over how you perceive and feel about yourself. Therefore, you cannot afford to miss this incredible shooter game involving a series of killings.

    My webpage User:HoracePol - Flash-template-design.com Wiki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any user discussion forums
    that cover the same topics discussed in this article? I'd really like to be a part of group where I can get comments from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Many thanks!

    my webpage onlineradio
    My web page :: youtube converter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does your website have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to send you an email.
    I've got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

    my website - kostenlos spielen ohne anmeldung

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does your website have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to send you an email.
    I've got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

    My homepage; kostenlos spielen ohne anmeldung
    Also see my web page > kostenlos spiele spielen

    ReplyDelete
  10. We absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be just what I'm looking for.
    Would you offer guest writers to write content to suit your
    needs? I wouldn't mind producing a post or elaborating on a few of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome web site!

    Feel free to surf to my web site: spiele spielen

    ReplyDelete
  11. The particular electronic cigarette ego basic starter kit is fantastic for
    new users. As you lift out the screen you'll see it is still attached via a ribbon cable. Double Tap (Tap the home button twice > Press down on an app for one second > Hit the "minus" button on all apps that are running) When you open an app, it stays running until you actually turn it off.

    My blog; http://sns.cam111.com/blogs/entry/Tips-In-Home-Business-A-Nearer-Look

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dadurch kann die Masse nicht aufgenommen werden, während sie die Verdauung passiert,
    wodurch eine Gewichtsreduktion erreicht wird.

    Darin liegt der Unterschied zu normalem Lida Dai Dai
    Hua Kaffee Geeignet ist der Kaffee nicht nur für <. Nuvoryn is a dietary slimming supplement like no other as it not only helps a person lose weight, but it helps lose weight efficiently.

    My blog Http:
    //Www.Freesolutionmanual.Com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These five free basketball game apps for the i - Phone will
    surely help you get your game on. Each program will have a box with a checkmark, find the programs you'd like to uninstall and uncheck that box. The player guides Phen through 10 levels of dungeon gameplay, finding a whole host of weapons and other items as well.

    Here is my blog - gratis spiele

    ReplyDelete
  14. When you quit, you can immediately feel its decision within 24 hours,
    health benefits, which can cause you to not smoke forever.

    If you don't want to use Safari to navigate to pages, zoom in, and read articles, Byline may be just the app for you. Aside from these types of power packs, you can even choose the 8-cell and also 12-cell electric battery.

    Feel free to visit my web blog; gratis spiele

    ReplyDelete
  15. These five free basketball game apps for the i - Phone will surely help
    you get your game on. Naturally the ideal situation is to be
    able to lose weight really fast with a little amount of discomfort.
    The reason for this rather strange feature is that, as described above, apps in the Android Market are listed as
    they are submitted, without any testing.

    Feel free to surf to my web blog - kostenlos spiele spielen
    Also see my web page > youtube videos downloaden

    ReplyDelete
  16. If there is a change in the search engine algorithms, it is
    also up to the service provider to keep a watch on such activities.
    If you encourage your visitors to write their original
    reviews about your products instead of coping reviews from competitive websites to show you have circulation and satisfied customers, your website is more likely to
    earn higher ranking in the major search engines. The more doors you have
    the more chances of people finding it. SEO (search engine
    optimization) and keyword density are terms that scare many a writer who want
    to write for the internet. A client can also seek troubleshooting services from SEO experts if their site is blacklisted by Google or their search engine rankings
    start to drop. Search engines are getting smarter at detecting sites that are
    spamming keywords or made solely for the purpose of advertising.
    Some SEO firms focus on content spinning and submitting articles.
    Content writing for websites is not as simple as typing
    out a predetermined amount of words, if you wish people to view the
    content. The businesses have understood the need to take SEO services for
    attaining good search engine placement. Numerous SEO services over competitive price for
    outsourcing your site online, but, would it be best to hire the locals if the nature of your business limits to your local as well.
    It is a sagacious process that has become even tougher with the continuous changes in the algorithm of the major search engines especially Google.
    He has also mentioned each and every seo service. Let
    us assume that at this point you have 6 keywords.
    No - you name some of your images "breast. For this reason, having mentions from these sites have increasingly become a more valuable asset for your internet marketing. SEO defined. With most visitors noting the first 3-5 web links of the first page, further sustained SEO efforts bring the company web link to that web positioning high up as much as possible. SEO is becoming the most rewarding career nowadays. The internet has become an integral part of our lives that according to the latest statistics, almost 1 billion Americans access the internet. Addition and updation of fresh content always leads to arrival of increased traffic to your websites.

    Also visit my web blog ... More hints
    Also see my website: http://stratford.com.mx

    ReplyDelete
  17. They had not yet been released for the some mobiles while these
    games are well known to those that play in the regular
    Slots gratis mobile. The first thing you must do is to separate the amount of money that you want to play with.
    Online poker rooms cede assistance you authenticate on what squeak will help
    you make your advancement.

    Take a look at my web blog; Recommended Webpage

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hеy! I knοω this is kinda off tοpic
    but I was wondеrіng whіch blog plаtfoгm are you using for thіѕ site?
    I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I'ѵe
    haԁ іssues wіth hackers anԁ I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    Feel free to surf to my weblog: shopping

    ReplyDelete
  19. This particular CD will be the bare bones of songs my fans might never get the
    chance to hear otherwise. ' Always use a sun protection lotion or a sunscreen when moving about in the sun. The reflections of the sky, not only in the water, but on the boat as well, lend a hand to a desired blending of color and a balance that is perfection.

    Feel free to visit my site: Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  20. According to current estimates the cosmetics and toiletries industry is
    worth over US$45 billion to US$66 billion worldwide.

    Again, be careful when using the vinegar as some people may have an unpleasant reaction to the acid in the vinegar.
    Use superfoods to increase your health and wellbeing, make sure you include these
    foods to help you transform into a superman
    or woman.

    Also visit my blog post: Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  21. For most of us today, these fears are becoming realities,
    and when you're too young to retire or have no funds to fall back on how do you reenter the workforce. From here a company can use this data to accurately determine how many employees they will need to have on hand to meet the required level of production. You can find coupons for all of these, if you look.

    Also visit my site :: shewhoneedsbeads.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Literally wiping sweat from my forehead after doing my best
    90s dance moves to a memorable mix of old school joints from
    the likes of Special Ed, Eric B. In my case I listen to all music
    that is submitted to me before I include
    it on my playlist. As a gadget, it's out of this world; as a functional laptop, I'm
    not so sure.

    Also visit my web site: online radio - www.blueskychannel.tv

    ReplyDelete
  23. You could experience natural disasters like cyclone, tornadoes, earthquakes, and
    fire. When children fit these fun video game titles into actions require time
    to view those facial seems to be and human body expressions.
    Many games have role-playing incorporated and from the young age
    kids quickly learn from your heroes they choose to be.


    Here is my blog http://www.zimbio.com/General/articles/w49vmmOOiOZ/Understanding+Significant+Criteria+Children

    ReplyDelete
  24. This act is recognized as "farming", whereby you create a character and promote it.
    When children fit these fun video game titles
    into actions require time to view those facial seems to be and human body expressions.
    You just read the instruction, know which buttons to press to handle the vehicle and just jump into the game.


    Also visit my web site gratis spiele spielen - laonsafhonz.beeplog.com

    ReplyDelete